Tracking DDL scripts

Does gitora support tracking DDL scripts ? How can we add a DDL script e.g table DDL that is related to our version of a package ?

Hi Baris,

You can create dummy PL/SQL procedures (or packages, functions) and paste the table DDL into these procedures. Then you can add these procedures to Gitora.

Obviously, the procedures will give an error when compiled, but that’s not a problem. You will basically treat them as files that store the DDL of your tables.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Yalim

Hello,
I am just starting with Gitora, and I would like to know if you plan to include such scripts (table DDL …) in future versions or if this is excluded for some reason that makes it difficult …

To try to know a bit more about your plans, I have to let you know a bit more about the aim of our Gitora POC. Beside Oracle PL/SQL developments, I am also in charge for ABAP developments in SAP ERP systems. You probably know that SAP provides a very efficient and robust (“Embedded” - called Transport Management System) solution for versionning (application developments - including DDL objects- as well as reference table contents), and deployement from dev to prod. What I would like to achieve is to implement some SAP-like devops practices in the context Oracle PL/SQL developments.
In that aim, Gitora is clearly a good starting point for various reasons (check-out ad DB level…) which could be combined with some agnostic workflow-based deployement tool to cover the full devops scope. Now the fact that DDL object versions are not in scope generates some frustration.

Best regards,
Guy.

Hi Guy,

Thank you for your message. Happy to hear that you plan to do a POC with Gitora.

Regarding your question: Currently Gitora works only on database objects that can be created using the CREATE OR REPLACE command.

Gitora automatically updates the code units it tracks when the developer performs a version control operation such as reverting to a previous commit point, changing the current branch she works on etc… These are notoriously difficult to perform for tables because the REPLACE command doesn’t work on them. So you run into all sorts of dependency problems. Not worrying about these issues makes Gitora really easy to use.

In future versions, Gitora can enable the tracking of table DDL’s as files only, but avoid executing the DDL’s in the database after a version control command is executed by the developer.

We worry that automatically updating most of the objects Gitora tracks but not updating some of them might cause confusion among users and have a negative effect on the user experience. They might think that Gitora is not working correctly. This has been the reason behind our hesitation to introduce this feature to Gitora quickly.

I don’t want to seem pushy but just so that you know, if you decide to move forward with Gitora, we provide professional support services for Gitora at very affordable rates. You can have us add any feature you want to Gitora at very affordable prices. So just like you said, think of Gitora as a great starting point. It works really well for individuals and small teams. In an enterprise environment, it might need a few tweaks and improvements. And there is a team behind the tool that can provide these tweaks and improvements to you.

Thank you again for your genuine interest in Gitora.

Kind Regards,
Yalim
Founder