How to install Gitora on Linux server

I have downloaded Gitora_1.0.1_Linux.jar and try to install it on a Linux server. What is the command to install Gitora?

Thanks for the help.

Michael

Hi Michael,

To run Gitora installer, just run java -jar Gitora_1.0.1_Linux.jar and be sure that Oracle Java is installed on your system and you’re running your linux in an Graphical User Environment.

Best regards
Serdar

Hi Serdar,

Thank you so much for the information, Gitora has been installed successfully.

Do you know where I can find paper version of Gitora user guide? or you have any guide can be shared?

Best wishes.

Michael

Hi Michael,

We don’t have a separate user guide on paper. We try to put every document we have online. This article explains each function in Gitora.

This link displays a webinar recording and its slides where we give a general overview of Gitora along with short but useful demo at the end.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Yalim

Thanks Yalim.

I login to http://gitora_hostname:8080/gitora/main.html?name=Gitora

then tried to create a new repository, however, I got following message,

Repository

projects /
404 - No such project

Does this mean I need to configure git and create a git project before I can use Gitora?

Bests.

Michael

Hi Michael,

Generally you don’t have to install and configure git for Gitora. Gitora installer does everything for you. However, in your example, it seems that Gitora is somehow misconfigured.

To further investigate your issue, please send us the folowing information:

1. The content of T_BDF_SC_SETUP table of GITORA schema.
  2. File from [GITORA HOME]\apache tomcat 6.0.29\webapps\gitora\WEB-INF\classes\co\gerger\sc\resources\Settings.properties
  3. File from [GITORA HOME]\apache tomcat 6.0.29\webapps\gitora\WEB-INF\cgi-bin\sc\gitweb.cgi

Regards
Serdar

Hi Serdar,

In addition to yesterday’s question, I found following message in GITORA.log when I tried to create new repository,

2015-09-09 09:44:48,173 ERROR [http-8080-5] co.gerger.sc.io.IOHandler: File couldn’t be read: /home/gitora/Gerger/GitoraServer/repositories/gitora/TEST.git/config
java.io.FileNotFoundException: /home/gitora/Gerger/GitoraServer/repositories/gitora/TEST.git/config (No such file or directory)

however, the directory path is following,

/home/gitora/Gerger/GitoraServer/repositories/gitora/TEST/.git

-rw-rw-r-- 1 gitora gitora 71 Sep 9 09:44 config
-rw-rw-r-- 1 gitora gitora 24 Sep 9 09:44 description

Gitora application tried to find path /home/gitora/Gerger/GitoraServer/repositories/gitora/TEST.git, but actual path
created was /home/gitora/Gerger/GitoraServer/repositories/gitora/TEST/.git

Thanks.

Michael

Hi Serdar,

Thanks for the information.

Questions:

1. These packages must be installed on the sevrer?

perl-Time-HiRes
perl-CPAN
perl-CGI

1. gitora and git can be installed on separate servers?

2. Gitora can connect to multiple Oracle instances?

Best regards.

Michael

Hi Michael,

I checked the information you sent and it looks alright.

We’re truly sorry for the inconvenience. In some linux distributions installer may fail to complete the installation smoothly. One of a Gitora user faced similar error messages before and we solved their problem. Here’s the link for the solution: Problem with GITORA on RHEL6.

In this solution we suggested to install git and some other packages manually and replace the older git paths specified in Gitora settings with the new one. Please follow the same steps. If you have them already installed then skip installation parts. To change Gitora settings, you have to change the following files:
1- Settings.properties. Change git.executable value to the new location of git; e.g. git.executable = /usr/local/bin/git
2- gitweb.conf. Change project root to the same as home.directory.path of Settings.properties file. And change the path of git to the new location too.

I’m sending an example gitweb.conf and Settings.properties files for you in case they’re missing on your system.

Please keep me informed and don’t hesitate to contact with me.

Best Regards
Serdar Gökçen

Hi Michael,

Sorry for the late response. We’ve been very busy due to Formspider release 1.9.

Back to to the questions:

1. Those packages have to be installed on which the application server (tomcat) is installed.
  2. Gitora has broadly two parts: Middletier components and Database components. git has to be installed on middle tier side (this is mandatory) but the database may be located any server has right to access to middletier server.
  3. Right now one Gitora installation works with only one Oracle instance.
  4. We’re going to investigate the error message you’ve sent. We don’t know yet but it seems like a bug. If it is, we will fix it for the new release.

Best Regards
Serdar Gökçen

Hi Serdar,

Thank you very much for the reply. I just confirmed, those packages had been installed on the application server.

To test, I added some PL/SQL packages into a test Gitora repository. However, on the navigation tree when I right clicked on one package, the “Check Out” menu item was disabled; when I right clicked on either “Show Spec” or “Show Body” menu item, no pop up menu showed up. Is it possible this was cause by failure of creating GIT project?

Bests

Hi Michael,

Did you try these steps using a previous repo you created in Gitora or did you start fresh and created a new repo from the Gitora UI?

If you did not start fresh please do so. Try creating a new repo using the Gitora UI. Next, add one or more packages to the repo. Make an initial commit. Then finally try to check out a package. If these steps doesn’t work, there are still issues in your installation. :frowning:

Kind Regards,
Yalim

Hi Yalim,

I tried few times with creating a new repo using the Gitora UI. When I made an initial commit, I got following error,

fatal: This operation must be run in a work tree

Is this related to "404 - No such project " problem I had when I created a new repo (error message was in my September 9th’s post/reply).

Thanks.

Michael

Hi Michael,

It seems like there is something wrong with your installation. At the bottom of the Gitora UI, there is a part where you can view error logs. Do you see any information there that can help you to identify what the problem might be?

Kind Regards,
Yalim

Hi Yalim,

I haven’t seen any error messages on “System Messages” panel at the bottom of the Gitora UI. However, I saw error messages in following two places.

1. Installation.log

12:13:59 INFO - Checking errors
12:13:59 INFO - Checking errors completed
12:13:59 INFO - Started registring XSD
12:14:26 WARN - Can not complete registring XSD: ORA-31084: error while creating table “GITORA”.“root2772_TAB” for element "root"
ORA-02320: failure in creating storage table for nested table column “XMLDATA”.“panel”.“xyLayout”."cell"
ORA-01792: maximum number of columns in a table or view is 1000
ORA-06512: at “XDB.DBMS_XMLSCHEMA_INT”, line 72
ORA-06512: at “XDB.DBMS_XMLSCHEMA”, line 33
ORA-06512: at line 1

oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CTTIoer.processError(T4CTTIoer.java:445)

1. GITORA.log

directory : gitora/TEST3
sessionId : YFbAfSYZ5TPBOJGuJbYa_18-09-2015_13-07-42:274
params : null
command : init

2015-09-18 13:07:42,519 ERROR [http-8080-1] co.gerger.sc.io.IOHandler: File couldn’t be read: /home/git/gitora/TEST3.git/config
java.io.FileNotFoundException: /home/git/gitora/TEST3.git/config (No such file or directory)
at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method) ~[na:1.6.0_35]
at java.io.FileInputStream.(FileInputStream.java:140) ~[na:1.6.0_35]

This error happened when I tired to create new repo TEST3.

On Gitora GUI, I got following messages,

Repository
projects /
404 - No such project

Looks like Gitora application tried to find path /home/git/gitora/TEST3.git/config, but actual path
created was /home/git/gitora/TEST3/.git/config

Do you have any clue what caused this path mismatch?

Thank you very much for your helps.

Michael

Hi Yalim and Serdar,

Do you have any insight of the issue we face? Had any other users who installed Gitora on Redhat Linux server have the same issue?

Michael

Hi Yalim and Serdar,

As a test, I just tried the installation of Gitora on my Windows machines (using the same download of software),
it worked fine and no those errors found in Installation.log and GITORA.log.

Possible this problem only happens to the Linux installation?

Best regards.

Michael

Hi Michael,

We’re sorry for the inconvenience. We tested Gitora on Windows, Mac and some Linux distributions ( Ubuntu, Debian, OEL, CentOS ). We didn’t see errors you caught. However, some users posted errors on Linux environments. Until we catch your issue locally, I can suggest using Gitora on Windows for now.

Please compress and send us your [tomcat]/webapps/gitora folder (You can remove WEB-INF/libs folder from zip file to make it smaller) to investigate in detail; and let us know if you have any more detail.

Best regards.
Serdar

Hi Serdar and Yalim,

I have emailed you the compressed gitora folder.

I have installed Gitora on a Windows server, it works fine.

Please let me know if you find and fix the issues associated with Gitora installation on Redhat Linux.

Michael